I can’t lie. I’ve jumped on the AI bandwagon. Mostly out of curiousity but also out of a morbid fascination around the future of my career as a writer and content creator. Is AI going to send me out to pasture? Remains to be seen. But in the meantime, I’m using it to create things like .. SALADS!
I asked ChatGPT to create a salad recipe using ingredients that I have learned to be beneficial to our bone and body health. This is what it came up with. Now – don’t shoot the messenger. I haven’t actually tried it yet but it does sound pretty damn good and it incorporates the ingredients I requested which are rich in nutrients.
The name? ChatGPT named it “The Menopause Support Salad”. I think we’ll have to work on that but it gives me comfort to know that with a name like that, AI isn’t taking over my job anytime soon!
For the Salad:
- 4 cups mixed dark leafy greens (such as kale, spinach, and arugula)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (steamed or blanched)
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (rich in magnesium and healthy fats)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (a source of omega-3 fatty acids)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (containing calcium)
- 1/4 cup chickpeas (a source of plant-based protein)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (optional, for sweetness and antioxidants)
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (healthy fats)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (antioxidants)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (supports the immune system)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing your dark leafy greens. Wash and chop them into bite-sized pieces, removing any tough stems. Place them in a large salad bowl.
- Steam or blanch the broccoli florets until they are tender but still crisp. Drain and let them cool before adding them to the salad.
- Add the sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, diced avocado, and chickpeas to the salad bowl. Toss the ingredients to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, and dried cranberries (if using) on top of the salad.
- Serve the salad immediately and enjoy its delicious and healthful benefits.
This salad is packed with nutrients beneficial for women in menopause. The dark leafy greens provide calcium and phytoestrogens that can help with bone health and hormone balance. The avocado, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds provide healthy fats that support cardiovascular health and reduce hot flashes. The balsamic vinegar, chickpeas, and sesame seeds offer essential nutrients, while the garlic and Dijon mustard boost the immune system. The best part – it’s apparently flavourful AND satisfying! You be the judge and let me know!